Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Colored Dots

So I was watching this movie from Netflix this evening. It's a "gay cinema" film, called "Latter Days". It was quite capricious -sophomoric and campy one moment, emotionally poignant and touching the next. But anyway, there was a line in there - actually a recurring theme - about colored dots.

There was a "provide comfort to the sobbing woman" scene, where the main character was trying to soothe the woman's heart. He related a story about taking the comics from the Sunday paper when he was younger, and holding it up close to his nose. How all he could see up close like that was colored dots. But, when viewed from above, all the dots were connected.

Have you ever thought about that - all the dots being connected? I don't know if that's yet another salve on the collective consciousness. Or maybe something, for those of us who need it, to grab hold of to ensure one's immortality.

I think about being a colored dot. Compress everything I am and everything I will be down into a two-dimensional colored dot. What color would I want to be? Red comes to mind. I feel like a red sometimes. Vibrant, bold. Maybe blue. I think of blue as mellow, bland, blah. But no matter the color, there are often several colors that not only enhance them, but can be symbiotic as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home